Family Involvement Committee (FIC)
The school staff work in cooperation and collaboration with families. Much of the success of the program at ACG is a direct result of the high degree of family involvement and participation. ACG believes that parents, caregivers and teachers are role models for the children.
Family involvement plays a key role in all that we do at A Child’s Garden. Our families represent a diverse population of people committed to creating a safe, happy and enriched school for our children. Families are invited and encouraged to play an active role in their child’s care and education.
One of the most important ways we ask families to become involved is through the Family Involvement Committee (FIC). The FIC is a committee of the ACG Board of Directors. The committee is very much like a parent group or association at any school. All parents and caregivers are welcome to be involved with the FIC. The chair of the FIC is a voting member on the board, attends board meetings and acts as a liaison between FIC and the board of directors. In addition to these responsibilities, the FIC chair also leads FIC meetings held for families.
What does the Family Involvement Committee do?
The FIC organizes many events throughout the school year. Here are a few things we have done recently:
- Teacher appreciation breakfasts
- Family Movie Night in the atrium
- Parent’s Night Out
- Coffee and Conversations with licensed social worker, Kathy Hall
- ACG Market Days (an arts, crafts, and more market)
- Goblins in the Garden (a beloved event held each October for our little goblins and their families)
- Smith’s Community Rewards Program (visit www.smithscommunityrewards.com to enroll your Smith's card with A Child's Garden for this program).
- Dine and Donate events
- Box Tops for Education (learn more at www.boxtops4education.com)
- Community Involvement (KOATS for kids, food and book collections, support for troops)
- Work Days (this may include playground clean up, etc)
- Help with school pictures, scholastic book fair and more!
How do I get involved?
Each week families receive an email copy of the Garden News from ACG. (paper copies are available in the office and it is posted on this website as well) Check the Garden News or our website for FIC meeting times, event dates, and ways to help. Remember, even if you can’t attend each FIC meeting it is still easy to get involved. We understand the busy schedules of families with young children, and we ask that you consider giving of your time and resources as generously as you can. When each family contributes we are a better school and a better community. Just let us know what you are interested in helping with and how much time you can offer and we’ll work with you! You, your time, and your strengths are appreciated.